Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

James Davies Powell

28 posts in this topic

Posted

Well folks I am still searching...Would love to get more info. on Thomas Davies but can't find out anything about him other than what's on the cenus records.....Would like to know what happened to their son Peter (Davies) Lilliman, not even sure where he was born. The family story is that Thomas and Emma moved from Wales to Yorkshire using a hand cart right around the year of Peter's birth.....

This is indeed a complex web, and I share an interest in this thread as George Lilliman was the brother of

Sarah my great grandmother. Rather than comment individually on the many excellent and constructive appends to this thread, I have restarted from the beginnings of my researches.

George Lilliman only married once, to Hannah Linley on 30/11/1858 at Barwick in Elmet Parish Church. George died on 21/10/1893 in Monk Bretton, the informant was Emma Lilliman, claiming to be his widow. His wife Hannah died on 20/12/1917 in Garforth, recorded as the widow of George Lilliman. She clearly separated from George after 1881, and can be found as a servant in Old Manston, Austhorpe in 1891 (Piece 2879 Folio 76 Page1); a servant in Manston Grange, Austorpe in 1901 (4430 97 5) under the name Ann Lillieman, and at Old Manston, Crossgates in the 1911 Census.

'Peter Lilliman' in the 1891 and 1901 census was actually Peter Foster, whose birth was registered 3Q 1881 in Tadcaster district. His mother was Christiana Foster, a 14 year old visitor of George and Hannah Lilliman in the 1881 census. He was baptised twice, on 24/08/1881 at Manston, mother Christiana of Old Manston, and again on 10/02/1904 at Sandal Magna, mother being Christiana of Walton. The latter baptism could perhaps be seen as Peter reclaiming his original birth name, or perhaps even dissociating himself from Emma. In the 1911 census Peter Foster is boarding with a Walter Carter, and is a railway platelayer, the same occupation as Bertha Lilliman's husband Frederick Marston in that census. Edward and Emma Allen, Peter Foster, and Bertha are all living in different households at Priory Square, Walton, Nr. Wakefield in this census. Peter Foster married Alice Ann Bruce on 16/03/1912 at St Andrews, Wakefield. 'Father's name' is altered to 'Mother's name' in the register, a very unusual incidence, and recorded as Christiana Foster. Witnesses are Henry Thomas Powell & Annie Bruce, the former is the significant link connecting Peter with his upbringing with George and Emma Lilliman.

The marriage of Emma's son Henry Thomas Powell and Annabel Arnold took place on 13/01/1903 at Sandal Magna Parish Church, witnessed by Walter Carter, with whom Annabel was boarding in 1901, and with whom Peter Foster was boarding in 1911, and also by Bertha Lilliman, the latter being the relevant link in confirming Henry Thomas's identity. The fascinating detail is that the groom's father is given as William Powell, deceased, a sculptor. All attempts to find the said sculptor in a census failed, and I believe this occupation is another example of Emma being somewhat liberal with the truth, although the origin of the Powell name appears to be finally established.

In both Emma's 1894 marriage to Thomas Davies, whose expiry I cannot find, and her 1904 marriage to Edward Allen, she calls herself Emma Lilliman, a widow, which is of course untrue. However in each case she gives her father as James Lucas, deceased, farm labourer, which is true, according to her baptismal record on 07/05/1854 at Donhead St. Mary and to the census of 1861 (1320 52 4). By 1871 Emma had left home and was living with her sister Jane in Donhead St Mary (1962 8 8) as a Domestic Servant (Out of Place), aged 17.

Emma Lucas married William Powell, a labourer aged 30, from Saltford Somerset, on 07/01/1872 at Saltford Parish Church, giving her age as 19, rather than her real age of 17, but her father is faithfully recorded as James Lucas, labourer. This economical use of the truth appears to be Emma's hallmark, and Saltford is only forty miles from Donhead, a far smaller distance than her subsequent travels to South Wales and Yorkshire. Although William Powell's father is recorded as William Powell, labourer, on the marriage certificate, I have had not been able to positively identify him in any census as the name is very common.

So here I believe is the summary:

Emma Lucas was born in Donhead St Mary, Wilts, in 1854

Emma married William Powell in Somerset 1872, who may have been the real father of Henry Thomas/Thomas Henry Davies, her first child. William Powell's fate is unknown.

Emma was living with Thomas Davies in Glamorgan in 1881, falsely claiming to be married to him.

Emma was living with George Lilliman in Monk Bretton, Yorkshire 1891, falsely claiming to be married to him.

George Lilliman died in Monk Bretton in 1893, Emma falsely claimed to be his widow.

Emma married Thomas Davies in Wakefield in 1894, falsely claiming to be Emma Lilliman, a widow, Thomas' fate is unknown.

Emma married Edward Allen in Wakefield in 1904, falsely claiming to be Emma Lilliman, a widow. Thomas Davies may still be alive at this time, as indeed could William Powell.

Emma did run out of husbands in the end, Edward Allen was buried at Sandal Magna St Helens on 15/10/1925, and Emma Allen followed on 06/03/1929. I would be interested to know if there is a monument in the churchyard to this much travelled lady, in whom I have a great interest.

Sadly George Lilliman never did have any children of his own. His wife Hannah Linley had a son, Charles Henry Linley, in 1853, out of wedlock, and who died in 1873. An interesting aside is that Emma's son Henry Thomas, recorded in the census of 1881 as Thomas H. Davies, in 1891 as Henry.T. Lilliman, in 1901 as Henry Thomas Lilliman, and in 1911 as Henry Thomas Powell, worked at Stanley Asylum, and it was here that George Lilliman's step mother was a patient for many years before her death in 1887.

I hope this of help, I have spent several years trying to unravel the mysteries surrounding Emma Lucas, and was intrigued to find someone else researching in the same area, and more than happy to share my knowledge.

1 person likes this

Posted

Wow wow wow....I haven't worked on the family tree in a while but this info about my great grandmother is fascinating!....All I can say is what a "lady".....I only wish I had read this a while ago...oh well better late than never.....

Posted

Do you have any idea who Peter's father was? Do you have the marriage cert for Emma and William Powell? I have Emma's date of death as 1920....I'm sure I have a dozen other questions but can't think of them right now. When I get home I will look up some of the information that I have and will have more questions then!...This is sooo exciting!